Definition of alyssum in English:
noun (plural alyssums)
- Genera Alyssum and Lobularia, family Brassicaceae: many species, including sweet alyssum (L. maritima), with fragrant white flowers
- We planted blue and white alyssums around her alder trees, and pink begonias around her house and gate.
- Reserve some space for colorful annuals like zinnia, marigold, calendula, alyssum, and cosmos.
- The most commonly planted rockery flowers are aubretia and alyssum.
Mid 16th century (used loosely to denote various medicinal herbs): modern Latin, from Latin alysson, from Greek alusson, from a- 'without' + lussa 'rabies' (referring to early herbalist use).
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.