1A mixture or blend: a curious amalgam of the traditional and the modern
More example sentences
- More than 50 years ago, writer Carey Williams described LA as ‘a curious amalgam of all America’.
- In fact, what we're getting on November 30 is a curious amalgam of the reactionary and the progressive.
- A curious amalgam of straight history and political pamphlet, it was relatively little read in antiquity, and its modern status has declined in recent years.
1.1 Chemistry An alloy of mercury with another metal, especially one used for dental fillings.
- Another use of silver alloys is in dental amalgams.
- Depending upon the decorative nature of his work, he may also have known how to gild metals with an amalgam of mercury and gold.
- Very small amounts of mercury collect in our bodies from a number of sources including the environment, our food and our amalgam fillings.
Late 15th century: from French amalgame or medieval Latin amalgama, from Greek malagma 'an emollient'.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.