1Any plant of the genus Amaranthus, typically having small green, red, or purple tinted flowers. Certain varieties are grown for food.
- Family Amaranthaceae: several genera, especially Amaranthus.
- Several important crops are members of these families, with amaranth probably one of the most promising unexploited food and fodder crops.
- For tiny grains like teff and amaranth, use a very fine mesh strainer.
- This and a nearby plant were the first seabeach amaranth seen in more than 30 years.
- Example sentences
- As I'm learning more and more about Judaism, I'm finding that there is an amaranthine well of knowledge for me to uncover.
- In the amaranthine blackness, there were no days, and there were no years.
- She returned her gaze to the sunset, washing everything in tones of red and amaranthine.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of amaranth in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.