- A waxlike substance that originates as a secretion in the intestines of the sperm whale, found floating in tropical seas and used in perfume manufacture.More example sentences
- So, I got some sea salt, put it in a dish of blue glass, and anointed the dish with ambergris.
- Apparently the plastic is infused with ambergris.
- In the oily water round it we find ambergris and other fine and wonderful things.
late Middle English: from Old French ambre gris 'gray amber', as distinct from amber jaune 'yellow amber' (the resin).
More definitions of ambergrisDefinition of ambergris in:
- The British & World English dictionary