Definition of ambrosia beetle in English:
A small dark wood-boring beetle, the adults and larvae of which feed on a fungus that they cultivate, called ambrosia.
- Genus Platypus (family Platypodidae), and Xyleborus and other genera (family Scolytidae)
- Then come ambrosia beetles and western oak bark beetles by the thousands, flocking to feed, tunnel out galleries, and lay their eggs.
- It turns out that besides humans, four kinds of animal are known to farm fungi - leaf cutter ants, termites, ambrosia beetles, and marsh snails.
- In 2003, we started trapping ambrosia beetles and other wood boring beetles in ornamental nurseries.
Definition of ambrosia beetle in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan