- A small dark wood-boring beetle, the adults and larvae of which feed on a fungus that they cultivate, called ambrosia.
More example sentences
- Genus Platypus (family Platypodidae), and Xyleborus and other genera (family Scolytidae)
- Then come ambrosia beetles and western oak bark beetles by the thousands, flocking to feed, tunnel out galleries, and lay their eggs.
- It turns out that besides humans, four kinds of animal are known to farm fungi - leaf cutter ants, termites, ambrosia beetles, and marsh snails.
- In 2003, we started trapping ambrosia beetles and other wood boring beetles in ornamental nurseries.
More definitions of ambrosia beetleDefinition of ambrosia beetle in:
- The British & World English dictionary