Make (something bad or unsatisfactory) better: the reform did much to ameliorate living standards
More example sentences
- Improved social and economic conditions enhance health status and ameliorate problems of addiction.
- At least some of these could be ameliorated by improved urban design.
- He drafted it because he believed that the U.N. is the place to resolve such disputes and ameliorate such crises.
improve, make better, better, make improvements to, enhance, help, benefit, boost, amend;
relieve, ease, mitigate
informal tweak, patch up
- Example sentences
- I think the ameliorative treatments have been a godsend.
- While buyers are not thrilled by rising prices, rising prices are one of the ameliorative responses to changes in scarcity conditions.
- And I agree, also, with her description of a more ameliorative social policy for working families.
Mid 18th century: alteration of meliorate, influenced by French améliorer, from meilleur 'better'.
Words that rhyme with amelioratemeliorate
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.