Definition of amen in English:
- Help me by the power of the Holy Spirit, to seek your presence, and help me Lord to be aware of your presence, as you continue to fill me with your complete joy, in Jesus wonderful name I pray, amen!
- Change me Lord, for your glory and for the extension of your Kingdom, in Jesus wonderful and mighty name I pray, amen!
- When we say the act of contrition, at least the old act of contrition, in the Catholic Church, we say, ‘I firmly resolve, with the help of thy grace, to confess my sins, to do penance and to amend my life, amen.’
- The part about fighter pilots is wrong; to the rest of the sentence, I say amen!
- It's nice to have someone who actually believes in what he's running on and who can explain himself well and, if he has the added qualities of being charming and a brilliant extemporaneous speaker as the Reverend Sharpton does, amen.
- In the summer of 1997 he scheduled me an interview with the group, my favorite band of all time in the whole universe, amen.
nounBack to top
- The audience could hear every word, and the harmony was so rich, so compelling, that the congregation sat on the edges of their seats, amens and applause at the ready.
- I remember periods of quietness broken by screams and chants, followed by the shaking of bodies and the amens.
- The amens became more frequent and much louder.
Old English, from ecclesiastical Latin, from Greek amēn, from Hebrew 'āmēn 'truth, certainty', used adverbially as expression of agreement or consent, and adopted in the Septuagint as a solemn expression of belief or affirmation.
This comes via ecclesiastical Latin, from Hebrew 'āmēn ‘truth, certainty’, used to express agreement, and adopted in the Septuagint as a solemn expression of belief or affirmation.
Words that rhyme with amenAdrienne, again, Ardennes, Behn, Ben, Benn, Bren, cayenne, Cévennes, Dairen, den, en, fen, gen, glen, Glenn, Guyenne, Gwen, hen, julienne, Karen, ken, Len, Loren, men, Nene, Ogaden, paren, pen, Penn, Phnom Penh, Rennes, Shenzhen, Sun Yat-sen, ten, then, Tlemcen, when, wren, yen, zazen, Zen
Definition of amen in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.