- Reparation or compensation: try to make amends for the rude way you spoke to LucyMore example sentences
- I also point out that the actual amount paid in amends - not reparations ordered - was in excess of those legal costs.
- That is a polite way of saying that the reparation and amends provisions have become a means for buying justice.
- Ted distributes amends notes to everyone but Emmett.
an offer of amends
- Law An offer to publish a correction and an apology for an act of libel.More example sentences
- In the circumstances I have summarised above, I believe that the right discount for the belated offer of amends and apology is 35%.
- Under section 4 of the Defamation Act 1952 the defendant can establish a valid defence if he proves that he published the words innocently and has made an offer of amends.
- Parliament intended that a defendant whose offer of amends is turned down should have a statutory defence for that very reason - save in exceptional circumstances.
Middle English: from Old French amendes 'penalties, fine', plural of amende 'reparation', from amender (see amend).