Definition of amends in English:
Reparation or compensation: try to make amends for the rude way you spoke to Lucy
More example sentences
- I also point out that the actual amount paid in amends - not reparations ordered - was in excess of those legal costs.
- That is a polite way of saying that the reparation and amends provisions have become a means for buying justice.
- Ted distributes amends notes to everyone but Emmett.
an offer of amends
- Law An offer to publish a correction and an apology for an act of libel.Example sentences
- In the circumstances I have summarised above, I believe that the right discount for the belated offer of amends and apology is 35%.
- Under section 4 of the Defamation Act 1952 the defendant can establish a valid defence if he proves that he published the words innocently and has made an offer of amends.
- Parliament intended that a defendant whose offer of amends is turned down should have a statutory defence for that very reason - save in exceptional circumstances.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan