Definition of amethyst in English:
- Quartz is colourless when pure but minute amounts of impurities or lattice imperfections give rise to varieties such as amethyst, cairngorm, rose quartz, and smoky quartz.
- In the same case are several amethysts (the purple variety of quartz) of an amazingly rich violet color.
- A fine-colored amethyst, the purple variety of quartz, is also mined here.
- His eyes were narrow, the colour of amethyst, surrounded by heavy dark lashes.
- This season's purple make-up hues are equally exhilarating: intense amethyst, fig and crushed mulberry, to name a few.
- In Australia, three base colours were used to make carnival glass: clear, aqua and dark amethyst.
- Example sentences
- A specimen in the collection of one of the authors consists of an aesthetic group of slightly amethystine stubby quartz scepters with rhodochrosite on marmatite.
- They either ‘stand alone’ or on a matrix of milky to slightly amethystine quartz crystals.
- Small, tan to brown, 2-5 - mm calcite crystals are also associated with milky to slightly amethystine quartz crystals.
It was traditionally believed that putting an amethyst in your drink could prevent you getting drunk, through an association of the colour of the stone and the colour of red wine. The word comes from the Greek amethustos, meaning ‘not drunken’.
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.