- 1Surrounded by; in the middle of: our dream home, set amid magnificent rolling countrysideMore example sentences
- The cabins stand in their own picket-fenced patch of grass amid beautiful countryside.
- Only about a dozen homes surround the picture-book church, which is set amid rolling fields.
- These housing projects are cruelly juxtaposed amid the sublime beauty that surrounds Nuuk.
- 1.1In an atmosphere or against a background of: talks broke down amid accusations of a hostile takeover bidMore example sentences
at a time of, in an atmosphere of, against a background of; as a result of
- We are party to the destruction of a city and the dismembering of its country amid growing insecurity.
- The attack came amid a major upsurge in violence across the country that has left a thousand dead.
- The operation was under way amid fears for the safety of diplomats in the country.
Middle English amidde(s).