- A simple organic compound containing both a carboxyl (—COOH) and an amino (—NH2) group.
Amino acids occur naturally in plant and animal tissues and are the basic constituents of proteinsMore example sentences
- Two known enzymes catabolize the essential amino acid tryptophan in mammals.
- To tackle this problem a variety of approaches have been developed to predict the three-dimensional structure of a protein given its amino-acid sequence.
- The simplest amino acid is glycine which contains a hydrogen atom as its side group.
More definitions of amino acidDefinition of amino acid in:
- The British & World English dictionary