An ammonoid that belongs to the order Ammonitida, typically having elaborately frilled suture lines.
- Typified by ammonoids of the order Ammonitida
More example sentences
- Argonauta shares other characteristics with some Jurassic and Cretaceous ammonites, namely multicuspid rachidial tooth on the radula.
- The fossil content consists of ammonites, belemnites, brachiopods, echinoderms, bivalves, crinoids, gastropods, ostracodes and benthic foraminifers.
- A feature of especial interest is that, while the youngest Triassic ammonites are quite rare, the oldest Jurassic ammonites are extremely abundant, entering the succession in a veritable flood.
mid 18th century: from modern Latin ammonites, from medieval Latin cornu Ammonis 'horn of Ammon', from the fossil's resemblance to the ram's horn associated with Jupiter Ammon (see ammoniacal).
Definition of ammonite in:
- The British & World English dictionary