noun (plural amniocenteses /-sēz/)Medicine
- The sampling of amniotic fluid using a hollow needle inserted into the uterus, to screen for developmental abnormalities in a fetus.More example sentences
- The whole process is called an amniocentesis, or amnio, in the vernacular.
- In amniocentesis, the health care provider inserts a thin needle through the woman's abdomen.
- Between the 15th and 18th weeks of pregnancy, the mother can also have an amniocentesis to screen for the Tay-Sachs gene.
1950s: from amnion + Greek kentēsis 'pricking' (from kentein 'to prick').
More definitions of amniocentesisDefinition of amniocentesis in:
- The British & World English dictionary