- An animal whose embryo develops in an amnion and chorion and has an allantois; a mammal, bird, or reptile.More example sentences
- Vertebral counts in modern amniotes, amphibians, and fish, can vary due to environment or change with growth.
- The sequence from the early amniotes to the early mammals is the most fully documented of the major transitions in vertebrate evolution.
- The ancestral amniotes were small animals, superficially resembling primitive, insectivorous lizards.
late 19th century: from modern Latin Amniota, back-formation from amniotic (see amnion).
More definitions of amnioteDefinition of amniote in:
- The British & World English dictionary