Definition of amphetamine in English:
A synthetic, addictive, mood-altering drug, used illegally as a stimulant and legally as a prescription drug to treat children with ADD and adults with narcolepsy.
- Alternative name: 1-phenyl-2-aminopropane (or one of its salts, especially amphetamine sulfate); chemical formula: C6H5CH2CH(CH3)NH2
- Ritalin is a stimulant whose effects are similar to those of amphetamine, methamphetamine and cocaine.
- Scientists don't know much about how drugs like amphetamine and Prozac interact in young children.
- The stimulant drugs are based on amphetamine and carry a risk of sudden death from fatal heart rhythms.
1930s: abbreviation of its chemical name, a(lpha-)m(ethyl) phe(ne)t(hyl)amine.
Words that rhyme with amphetaminedopamine • histamine
Definition of amphetamine in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan