- Class Amphibia: orders Urodela (newts and salamanders), Anura (frogs and toads), and Gymnophiona (caecilians)
- Spadefoot toads are desert-dwelling amphibians that breed opportunistically in short lived pools filled by periodic rainfall.
- Secondarily aquatic adult amphibians provide another source of diversity.
- Among vertebrates, newts and other urodele amphibians show a remarkable capacity for regeneration.
- It says no other road-legal amphibian has managed to exceed 6mph on water.
- Unfortunately for them, in December of 1941 the company was also given the go-ahead to develop an amphibian.
adjectiveZoology Back to top
- In both mammalian and amphibian eggs, integrins have been proposed as putative sperm receptors.
- In dry years, such as the year of this study, ponds were dry by mid-June, invertebrate and amphibian larvae were unable to develop enough to metamorphose and emerge from the water.
- Perhaps 10 to 30 percent of Earth's mammal, bird, and amphibian species are facing extinction.
mid 17th century (in the sense 'having two modes of existence or of doubtful nature'): from modern Latin amphibium 'an amphibian', from Greek amphibion (noun use of amphibios 'living both in water and on land', from amphi 'both' + bios 'life').