- A legendary serpent with a head at each end.More example sentences
- The Chichester Cathedral misericord of the amphisbaena is shown to be a memento mori by the surrounding carvings.
- Adventurers fighting an amphisbaena need to be doubly careful, since both heads are capable of attacking and even swallowing assailants with ease.
- Leonardo Da Vinci wrote accounts about the amphisbaena as a living creature, giving details on how the serpent caught rodents as prey by confusing it with its two heads.
late Middle English: via Latin from Greek amphisbaina, from amphis 'both ways' + bainein 'go'.
More definitions of amphisbaenaDefinition of amphisbaena in:
- The British & World English dictionary