noun[as modifier] Chemistry
1The straight-chain pentyl radical —C5H11.
- The powdered bark can also be treated with solvents, such as toluene, or amyl alcohol to extract the quinine.
- Once again, there's an impressive list of toxins found in these products that may include naptha, phenol, diglycol laurate, amyl acetate or nitrobenzene.
- Ethanol was then replaced with amyl acetate in preparation for critical point drying with liquid carbon dioxide.
1.1 informal short for amyl nitrite.
- Effective treatment was not available until Brunton introduced nitrate of amyl in 1867.
- Wearing gasmasks with a small canister of amyl attached is really great for morale on the battlefield of love - but I digress.
- The blurb makes it all sound far more titillating than it probably is, but they're right about the leather and amyl though.
Words that rhyme with amylTamil
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of amyl in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.