Definition of anabiosis in English:
A temporary state of suspended animation or greatly reduced metabolism.
- CAM also occurs in some resurrection plants that are desiccation-tolerant and can shift between biosis and anabiosis as they dry out and are rewatered, respectively.
- His photographs show that during anabiosis membranes contract in intricate folds within the shrunken cell.
- He said three types of life forms are found in permafrost: active ones that eke out a living, forms in suspended anabiosis until things get better, and the ones that simply gave up and died.
Late 19th century: from Greek anabiōsis, from anabioein 'return to life'.
- Example sentences
- We put hearts, blood and semen of the lab animals into an anabiotic capsule designed and built by our team.
- Evidence suggests that glacial ice cannot support bacterial growth but rather traps these organisms for considerable lengths of time in an anabiotic state.
- When anabiotic, tardigrades look like they are dead - they don't move, don't breathe and their metabolism is undetectable.
Definition of anabiosis in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan