1Relating to, involving, or requiring an absence of free oxygen: anaerobic bacteria
More example sentences
- They found the samples contained anaerobic bacteria that grew on sugars and proteins in total absence of oxygen.
- Sugar availability is one of the elements required to support anaerobic metabolism.
- River water begins to putrefy when lack of oxygen promotes the growth of anaerobic bacteria, which produce the tell-tale smell of stale water.
1.1Relating to or denoting exercise that does not improve or is not intended to improve the efficiency of the body’s cardiovascular system in absorbing and transporting oxygen.
- Some experts say that after six to eight weeks of regular anaerobic exercise, a short hiatus is required to promote growth.
- Rest for at least 24 hours after heavy anaerobic exercise such as weight-lifting or circuit training and try to alternate the type of exercise you do.
- I suggest a regimen of daily vitamins and anaerobic exercises, Mort.
- Example sentences
- For instance, the very best sprinters don't need much aerobic capacity because they rely on a preponderance of fast-twitch muscle fibers, which contract quickly and anaerobically, meaning they don't require oxygen to burn fuel.
- Bacteria can also degrade components of crude oil, even anaerobically, and under certain conditions they produce methane, a valuable natural gas, in a processes analogous to the physical ‘cracking’ of hydrocarbons.
- When hay from the wild-type and stay-green L. perenne phenotypes was incubated anaerobically at 39°C, rates of protein loss were rapid and did not differ.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of anaerobic in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.