Definition of analysis in English:
noun (plural analyses /-ˌsēz/)
1Detailed examination of the elements or structure of something, typically as a basis for discussion or interpretation: statistical analysis an analysis of popular culture
More example sentences
- Although this prevented a detailed statistical analysis, the events could still be characterized.
- A more detailed analysis of the structure and concepts of Jo and Gwan can be found in the next essay, by Salia Male.
- The task lists resulting from statistical analysis of those surveys were examined to answer the study questions.
1.1The process of separating something into its constituent elements. Often contrasted with synthesis.
- The shift to decompositional conceptions of analysis was not without precedents, however.
- Eventually, data from this program will permit a more direct analysis of the process described here.
- According to one group of researchers, this process of analysis is carried out in seven steps.
1.2The identification and measurement of the chemical constituents of a substance or specimen.
- Electrochemical techniques are also widely used in chemical analysis.
- Crude chemical analyses identify the rock type as resembling the Earth's ocean floor rather than the Earth's continents.
- This protein poses interesting questions for those who deal with the detailed analysis of protein structures.
1.3 short for psychoanalysis.
- This is the same effect as can sometimes happen to us in the course of an analysis or a therapy.
- Moreover, it is also possible to imagine that a different psychoanalyst would be able to conduct an analysis with this patient.
- The analyst interprets without due regard for the analysand or the analysand acts without regard for the analyst or the analysis.
1.5 Mathematics The part of mathematics concerned with the theory of functions and the use of limits, continuity, and the operations of calculus.
- He also made contributions to analytic number theory, Diophantine analysis and numerical functions.
- Hahn was a pioneer in set theory and functional analysis and is best remembered for the Hahn - Banach theorem.
- Razmadze wrote the first textbooks in Georgian on analysis and integral calculus.
in the final (or last) analysis
- When everything has been considered (used to suggest that a statement expresses the basic truth about a complex situation): in the final analysis it is a question of political historyMore example sentences
- For, in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this small planet.
- But, in the final analysis, Tartt does much more than present a complex, rich, unique character.
- Yes, mistakes are made, targets are not achieved, but ultimately the science of hindsight often reveals flaws in the ultimate analysis.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan