Definition of analytic in English:
1 another term for analytical.
- And on some crucial questions Allen suffers from analytic myopia.
- Newbigin looked at the West with a missionary's eye and asked a missionary's analytic questions.
- The prospect of a second war on Iraq raises a large number of questions, analytic and political.
1.1 Logic True by virtue of the meaning of the words or concepts used to express it, so that its denial would be a self-contradiction. Compare with synthetic.
- It is supposedly a hallmark of analytic truths that their denials are self-contradictory.
- Contemporary philosophers recognize the possibility that sentences that express identities might be synthetic as opposed to analytic or true by definition.
- The meaning of theoretical terms is not defined by analytic statements which are true by convention.
1.2 Linguistics (Of a language) tending not to alter the form of its words and to use word order rather than inflection or agglutination to express grammatical structure. Often contrasted with synthetic.
- A later view, endorsed by Otto Jespersen, held that a fairly analytic language such as English represented the best and most evolved type of structure.
- Donnellan's reason for thinking it indeterminate is that our present use of such an analytic sentence, while correct now, should not be expected to hold for all hypothetical cases.
- So, the elaboration and use of the relatively more restricted lexical vocabulary consisting more of root words than derived ones (and more compounds than affixed words among derived ones) is only natural for analytic language speakers.
Words that rhyme with analyticanchoritic, anthracitic, arthritic, bauxitic, calcitic, catalytic, critic, cryptanalytic, Cushitic, dendritic, diacritic, dioritic, dolomitic, enclitic, eremitic, hermitic, lignitic, mephitic, paralytic, parasitic, psychoanalytic, pyritic, Sanskritic, saprophytic, Semitic, sybaritic, syenitic, syphilitic, troglodytic
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan