Definition of anaphora in English:
1 Grammar The use of a word referring to or replacing a word used earlier in a sentence, to avoid repetition, such as do in I like it and so do they.
- Binding is concerned with the type of anaphora found with pronouns and reflexives, but the notion is greatly extended.
- Null complement anaphora refers to an elliptical construction in which a VP or IP complement of a verb is dropped.
- In similar examples involving not coordination but anaphora (zero or overt), it's much easier to get away with this sort of denotation switching.
2 Rhetoric The repetition of a word or phrase at the beginning of successive clauses.
- An analysis of this speech reveals that the student used varied repetition strategies, including anaphora, antithesis, chiasmus, and parallelism.
- Many of the poems in Lateness use anaphora as a vehicle against time because it allows for sensual expressions of textures.
- Through alliteration, anaphora, parallelism and slant-rhyme, Sleigh builds momentum into the eleven, rhythmic couplets and suggests a train's smooth travel.
- Example sentences
- Text modifications that increase coherence range from low-level information, such as identifying anaphoric referents, synonymous terms, or connective ties, to supplying background information left unstated in the text.
- When an expression referring to an antecedent utterance is substituted for ‘x’ in ‘x is true,’ the resulting claim will have the same content as its anaphoric antecedent.
- But (I think) all of the examples in those earlier discussions involved some kind of null complement, where an object is omitted as generic or habitual or anaphoric or otherwise unneeded.
Definition of anaphora in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan