Definition of anaptyxis in English:
The insertion of a vowel between two consonants in pronunciation, as in filim for film.
- Prothesis and anaptyxis are often called simply ‘vowel’ or ‘schwa epenthesis’.
- It seems more like anaptyxis to me, with maybe a compensatory syncope.
- There is cross-linguistic evidence for associating anaptyxis-prothesis asymmetries with the nature of the consonants involved in the process.
- Example sentences
- Stress might have served as an environment for the denasalization or fortification of ‘m’, as well as the strengthening of the anaptyctic vowel in the prefix.
- Basque speakers shifting to Romance were confronted with lots of words beginning with [r], which they could not pronounce without an anaptyctic vowel.
- For formatives that are either verbs or nouns with a vocalic Affiliation / Extension prefix, the rules for consonantal prefixation are more constrained, as no forms using an anaptyctic vowel are permitted.
Definition of anaptyxis in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.