verb[with object] • archaic
- Anoint (someone), especially as part of the Christian rite of giving extreme unction to the dying.More example sentences
- And so soon after that she was aneled she departed and yielded up her spirit into the hands of our Lord.
- So when he was houseled and aneled, and had all that a Christian man ought to have, he prayed the hermit that his fellows might bear his body to Joyous Garde.
- D. West exhorted her to receuye their sacrament, and to be aneled, for he said, she was stronge enough for it. & c. Vnto whom she aunswered, that she was able and stronge enough to receyue it in dede, but she would not, for that it is abhominable. & c.
Middle English: from an- 'on' + archaic elien 'to oil' (from Old English ele, from Latin oleum 'oil').
More definitions of aneleDefinition of anele in:
- The British & World English dictionary