Definition of anemophilous in English:
(Of a plant) wind-pollinated.
- Generally, starchy pollen has been considered a feature of wind-pollinated (anemophilous) flowering plants, whereas insect-pollinated species show a greater or lesser replacement of starch by sugar or lipids.
- In addition, a very detailed pollen record has been obtained for this anemophilous species, because it has colonized western and northern Europe relatively late during the Holocene.
- A basic uniformity in floral as well as vegetative characters probably relates to an anemophilous habit.
- Example sentences
- Some authors recognize anemophily as the principal pollination system for this family, while others indicate entomophily.
- Vasquez studied pollination in A. vaginatum subsp. vaginatum in Mexico and concluded that anemophily predominated.
- I am interested in understanding how the morphological and ecological associations of anemophily reflect the aerodynamic requirements for effective pollen export and import.
Definition of anemophilous in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan