- 1 Medicine Absence of the normal immune response to a particular antigen or allergen.More example sentences
- It is known that some persons with TB exhibit specific anergy to tuberculin but still respond to other antigens, possibly because available T-cell receptors are saturated and unable to react to the administered tuberculin antigen.
- This type of antigen presentation results in tolerance via T-cell anergy.
- As suggested by Ferrara and colleagues, a low mitogen response may possibly reflect underlying anergy or inability of the cellular immune system to effectively mount a T-cell response.
- 2 another term for anergia.
- More example sentences
- Among TB patients with HIV infection, up to 40 per cent could be anergic.
- Seven patients were PPD negative, one of whom was anergic.
- Among these anergic patients, the 6-month mortality rate was 48%, compared with 13% for immunocompetent patients.
early 20th century: from German Anergie, from Greek an- 'not', on the pattern of Allergie 'allergy'.
More definitions of anergyDefinition of anergy in:
- The British & World English dictionary