Definition of aneurysm in English:
An excessive localized enlargement of an artery caused by a weakening of the artery wall.
- An aneurysm is a swelling in part of an artery caused by damage to, or weakness of, a blood vessel wall.
- In patients without subarachnoid hemorrhage from a separate aneurysm, larger aneurysms also were more likely to rupture.
- For instance, if the aneurysm involves the arteries to the kidneys then surgeons need this information if they plan to operate.
Late Middle English: from Greek aneurusma 'dilatation', from aneurunein 'widen out'.
- Example sentences
- Subarachnoid hemorrhage associated with aneurysmal rupture is a potentially lethal event with a mortality rate as high as 50 percent.
- However, the vascular wall was intact without any aneurysmal dilation or communication with the hemorrhagic cystic lesion.
- The second patient described herein had aneurysmal changes with advanced degenerative disease.
Words that rhyme with aneurysmverism • purism • Nazism
Definition of aneurysm in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan