Definition of angelfish in English:
noun (plural same or angelfishes)
Any of a number of laterally compressed deep-bodied fish with extended dorsal and anal fins, typically brightly colored or boldly striped, including.
- ● A freshwater fish native to the Amazon basin (genus Pterophyllum, family Cichlidae), in particular P. scalare, popular in tropical aquariums. ● A coastal marine fish (several genera in the family Pomacanthidae), including the blue and yellow queen angelfish (Holacanthus ciliaris) and the more drably colored gray angelfish (Pomacanthus arcuatus). ● another term for batfish (sense 2)
- Freshwater angelfish have extended dorsal and anal fins and discus fishes, have compressed, disc-like bodies.
- In marine areas, species concentrations are highest around coral reefs, where butterflyfishes and angelfishes, wrasses, parrotfishes and triggerfishes are common.
- Parrotfish, wrasse, grouper, angelfish, butterflyfish and barracuda are permanent residents.
Definition of angelfish in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan