Definition of angelfish in English:
noun (plural same or angelfishes)
Any of a number of laterally compressed deep-bodied fish with extended dorsal and anal fins, typically brightly colored or boldly striped, including.
- ● A freshwater fish native to the Amazon basin (genus Pterophyllum, family Cichlidae), in particular P. scalare, popular in tropical aquariums. ● A coastal marine fish (several genera in the family Pomacanthidae), including the blue and yellow queen angelfish (Holacanthus ciliaris) and the more drably colored gray angelfish (Pomacanthus arcuatus). ● another term for batfish (sense 2)
- Freshwater angelfish have extended dorsal and anal fins and discus fishes, have compressed, disc-like bodies.
- In marine areas, species concentrations are highest around coral reefs, where butterflyfishes and angelfishes, wrasses, parrotfishes and triggerfishes are common.
- Parrotfish, wrasse, grouper, angelfish, butterflyfish and barracuda are permanent residents.
Words that rhyme with angelfishparrotfish • silverfish
Definition of angelfish in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.