(also angostura bark)
1An aromatic bitter bark from some South American trees, used as a flavoring, and formerly as a tonic and to reduce fever.
- This bark is taken from the trees Angostura febrifuga and Galipea officinalis, family Rutaceae
- Angostura is a very bitter liquor with 40% alcohol, it is collected from the bark of the angostura tree, from cloves, enzian and bitter orange.
- Eventually, Old World plants were incorporated into these heady infusions, some of which included gentian root, colombo root, cinchona bark, ground ivy, horehound, cassia, wormwood, and angostura bark and root.
- Its characteristic structure serves to distinguish cusparia from other adulterants, such as copalchi bark (Croton niveus, Jacq.), and Brazilian angostura bark (Esenbeckia febrifuga, A. Juss).
1.1 short for Angostura bitters.
Late 18th century: from the place name Angostura.
Words that rhyme with AngosturaBonaventura, bravura, Bujumbura, caesura, camera obscura, coloratura, curer, Dürer, durra, Estremadura, figura, fioritura, Führer, insurer, Jura, juror, Madura, nomenklatura, procurer, sura, surah, tamboura, tempura, tourer
Definition of angostura in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.