Definition of angulate in English:
verb[with object] technical
1Hold, bend, or distort (a part of the body, especially of an animal) so as to form an angle or angles: (as adjective angulated) the hindquarters are more strongly angulated than the forequarters
More example sentences
- Dogs bred to have exaggerated angulation in the hindquarters, extreme pelvic slope, or are poorly muscled, poorly angulated, and narrow in the hips seem more predisposed.
- The spicules of bone, after alveolated parenchyma had been corroded off, revealed the characteristic coral-like branching and angulated bony spicules of DPO.
- This fracture occurs with the hand dorsiflexed; the distal fracture segment is angulated dorsally and causes a ‘silver-fork’ deformity.
1.1 Skiing Incline (the upper body) sideways and outward during a turn: [no object]: angulate slightly with the knees
More example sentences
- You can stand your feet on the same edge, angulate better than you can on skis, and now split-boards take away the problem of ascent in deep snow.
- In skiing we angulate with a combination of the hips, knees and ankles.
- Angulate at the waist and keep your upper body square to the hill as you plant the pole down the hill.
late 15th century (as angulated, used chiefly as a botanical or zoological term): from Latin angulatus, past participle of angulare, from angulus 'angle'.
- Example sentences
- The system also provides a unique visualization tool for tissue balancing, online visualization of joint angulations and displacement, and step-by-step comprehensive initialization of a patient's anatomy.
- Front and rear angulations should be in balance for smooth movement with a good front reach and a strong rear movement.
- Middle and proximal phalangeal fractures should be examined for evidence of angulation (by roentgenography) or rotation (by clinical examination), which require reduction.
Definition of angulate in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan