nounchiefly North American
A long-necked fish-eating bird related to the cormorants, typically found in fresh water. Anhingas spear fish with their long pointed bills and frequently swim submerged to the neck. Also called darter, snakebird.
- Family Anhingidae and genus Anhinga: four species
More example sentences
- A bird of southern swamps, the Anhinga is known as the Water-Turkey for its swimming habits and broad tail.
- The evolutionary relationships of anhingas and darters remain unclear.
- The anhingas, which spent their spring and summer scattered here and there along the Texas coast and inland waterways, follow their instinct, drift south and gather together.
mid 18th century: from Portuguese, from Tupi áyinga.
Definition of anhinga in:
- The British & World English dictionary