Definition of anhinga in English:
nounchiefly North American
A long-necked fish-eating bird related to the cormorants, typically found in fresh water. Anhingas spear fish with their long pointed bills and frequently swim submerged to the neck. Also called darter, snakebird.
- Family Anhingidae and genus Anhinga: four species
- A bird of southern swamps, the Anhinga is known as the Water-Turkey for its swimming habits and broad tail.
- The evolutionary relationships of anhingas and darters remain unclear.
- The anhingas, which spent their spring and summer scattered here and there along the Texas coast and inland waterways, follow their instinct, drift south and gather together.
Definition of anhinga in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan