nounchiefly North American
- A long-necked fish-eating bird related to the cormorants, typically found in fresh water. Anhingas spear fish with their long pointed bills and frequently swim submerged to the neck. Also called darter, snakebird.
More example sentences
- Family Anhingidae and genus Anhinga: four species
- A bird of southern swamps, the Anhinga is known as the Water-Turkey for its swimming habits and broad tail.
- The evolutionary relationships of anhingas and darters remain unclear.
- The anhingas, which spent their spring and summer scattered here and there along the Texas coast and inland waterways, follow their instinct, drift south and gather together.
mid 18th century: from Portuguese, from Tupi áyinga.
More definitions of anhingaDefinition of anhinga in:
- The British & World English dictionary