Definition of anion in English:
A negatively charged ion, i.e., one that would be attracted to the anode in electrolysis. The opposite of cation.
- When two atoms swap electrons to produce a cation and an anion, the two ions are attracted to each other.
- During electrolysis an anion is attracted to the anode (positive electrode).
- In an ionic compound there are two different types of ions present, the positively charged cations and the negatively charged anions.
- Example sentences
- An example of an anionic emulsifier is stearic acid.
- The development of both cationic and anionic exchange materials did not occur until 1935.
- The anionic lipids promote faster adsorption whether present in the bilayer vesicles or in the surface monolayer.
Definition of anion in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India