Definition of anise in English:
1A Mediterranean plant of the parsley family, cultivated for its aromatic seeds, which are used in cooking and herbal medicine.
- Pimpinella anisum, family Umbelliferae. See also aniseed
- Add a new dimension: cook carrots with cumin seeds; sprinkle beets with ground anise seeds; add a pinch of saffron threads to sauteed onions.
- Nearly 25 centuries ago, Hippocrates wrote that ‘a pleasant odour is essential in any girl, and can be obtained and maintained by using a mouthwash containing anise, dill seeds, myrrh and white wine’.
- Some of the herbs that have been shown to help with inadequate or slow milk supply are raspberry, nettles, anise, fenugreek and fennel seeds and alfalfa.
2An Asian or American tree or shrub that bears fruit with an aniseedlike odor.
- Genus Illicium, family Illiciaceae: many species, especially star anise (I. verum), used in Chinese cooking
- Star anise - not to be confused with anise, a licorice-flavored herb - grows on evergreen trees in hot, humid, mountainous regions.
- Boil coconut milk with spices and star anises, stirring occasionally. After star anises become soft, grind them with other ground spices.
- Firstly, you need to char your ginger, shallots, garlic and briefly roast the star anises, cinnamon stick and cardamom.
Words that rhyme with aniseJanice
Definition of anise in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan