Definition of anisogamy in English:
Sexual reproduction by the fusion of dissimilar gametes. Often contrasted with isogamy.
- Meiosis produces 4 gametes, ie. isogamy, anisogamy and oogamy, which through mitosis develops into mature gametes.
- Isogamy and anisogamy, and sometimes oogamy, may occur.
- In many species with gametes of different sizes (anisogamy), sexual crosses typically produce progeny with mitochondrial DNA inherited from the larger gamete.
Late 19th century: from Greek anisos 'unequal' + -gamy (from gamos 'marriage').
- Example sentences
- These produce flagellated anisogamous gametes that are released into the water to find each other.
- The gametes are isogamous or anisogamous and are produced from the plurilocular sporangia of gametophytes.
- Chlamydomonas braunii is just like C. reinhardtii, except for the fact that it is anisogamous.
Definition of anisogamy in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan