Abnormal stiffening and immobility of a joint due to fusion of the bones.
More example sentences
- There was ankylosis of both sacroiliac joints.
- Pain relief and frequent passive movements prevent contractures and joint ankylosis.
- Spondylitis means inflammation of the spine, and ankylosis means that a joint has become fixed solid so that it cannot bend.
early 18th century: from Greek ankulōsis, from ankuloun 'to crook', from ankulos 'crooked'.
- More example sentences
- A preauricular approach was made exposing the ankylotic segment which was extensively resectioned and a new glenoid cavity was created.
- The treatment plan provides the extraction of the ankylotic deciduous molars and their replacement with implant-borne single crowns.
- In adults, movement can be restored by removing the ankylotic mass with reconstruction using either a costrochondral graft or alloplastic joint prostheses.
More definitions of ankylosisDefinition of ankylosis in:
- The British & World English dictionary