Definition of anodyne in English:
Not likely to provoke dissent or offense; inoffensive, often deliberately so: anodyne New Age music I attempted to keep the conversation as anodyne as possible
More example sentences
- I just find their music very anodyne, its very ‘consistent’, it lacks variation and is very safe - and that's the problem for the film.
- At other moments - for all the Chorus's endeavours - the concert is let down by anodyne music and lyrics.
- The sound effects - such as the perfect hollow pop every time Sara takes her pills - work in harmony with the images to convey the dull repetition and anodyne ritual that make up any addiction.
nounBack to top
A painkilling drug or medicine.
- It displays diuretic, anodyne, styptic, digestive, antihelminthic, expectorant, antipyretic, and antiemetic properties.
- It is an anti-inflammatory, tonic astringent, diaphoretic, stomachic, nervine, anodyne and antiseptic.
- The root, which is rather toxic, has anodyne and soporific properties.
Words that rhyme with anodynecelandine • androgyne
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.