Definition of anole in English:
A small, mainly arboreal American lizard with a throat fan that (in the male) is typically brightly colored. Anoles have some ability to change color. Also called chameleon.
- Genus Anolis, family Iguanidae: numerous species, in particular the green anole (A. carolinensis), which is popular as a pet
- Check out your local pet shop and look into anoles, chameleons, and skinks, among many others.
- Just six months later the anoles were almost exclusively tree-dwelling, and longer-legged lizards had died in disproportionate numbers.
- Trunk-ground anoles possess long hindlimbs that result in high-speed locomotion, but impair movement on narrow perches, presumably because of the difficulty of maintaining the lizard's center of mass directly over the narrow branch.
early 18th century: from Carib.
Definition of anole in:
- British & World English dictionary