(also anopheles mosquito)
Definition of anopheles in English:
A mosquito of a genus that is particularly common in warmer countries and includes the mosquitoes that transmit the malarial parasite to humans. Compare with culex.
- Genus Anopheles, subfamily Anophelinae, family Culicidae
- Of the thousands of mosquito types, only the genus anopheles transmits malaria to humans.
- Millions of people die each year from malaria, which is transmitted through the bite of the anopheles mosquito.
- Among a dozen mosquito types in Milan, experts are keeping a close eye out for the anopheles mosquito which is capable of transmitting malaria.
- Example sentences
- Both culicine and anopheline mosquitoes can now be transformed, and genetic constructs that block the development of malaria parasites in transformed mosquitoes have been produced.
- Intriguingly, the bias observed here was restricted to culicines, suggesting that loss from these taxa occurs at a higher rate than from anophelines, despite the fact that culicine genomes are up to eight times larger.
- During a single feeding bout, lasting 4 to 5 min, a female anopheline mosquito can increase mass by more than 200%.
Pronunciation: /-ˌlīn/ /-lin/adjective& noun
Late 19th century: modern Latin, from Greek anōphelēs 'unprofitable, useless'.
Definition of anopheles in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.