Definition of anoxia in English:
1An absence of oxygen.
- Lack of oxygen or anoxia is a common environmental challenge which plants have to face throughout their life.
- Tolerance to anoxia is relevant to wetland species, rice cultivation and transient waterlogging of agricultural crops.
- Sugar availability plays an important role in plant tolerance to anoxia.
1.1 Medicine An absence or deficiency of oxygen reaching the tissues; severe hypoxia.
- Cold injury is believed to occur due to anoxia resulting from circulatory insufficiency as well as the direct freezing effect of cold on the exposed parts.
- Deaths and permanent neurological damage from anoxia have occurred when surgeons have unwisely performed immediate consecutive bilateral thoracoscopy rather than two separate operations.
- He added that these injuries can be very severe because facial injuries received often affect breathing, which leads to anoxia which can result in brain damage.
- Example sentences
- It was determined that the patient had suffered severe anoxic brain damage as a result of the cardiac arrest.
- He allegedly was over sedated and consequently suffered cardiopulmonary arrest with an ensuing irreversible anoxic brain injury.
- He assumes that anoxic damage to the brain obliterates all consciousness.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan