Definition of ant-thrush in English:
Any of a number of thrush-sized ant-eating birds.
- ● A large antbird (three genera in the family Formicariidae). ● An African thrush (genus Neocossyphus, subfamily Turdinae, family Muscicapidae: four species). ● another term for pitta1
- MacArthur studied four species of ant-thrushes in South America and discovered that they used different levels within the vegetation for feeding.
- When the pedestrian falls in with a train of these ants, the first signal given him is a twittering and restless movement of small flocks of plain-coloured birds (ant-thrushes) in the jungle.
- That's the song of the Rufus Fronted Ant Thrush, a very rare species with a very small range in southwestern South America.
Definition of ant-thrush in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan