Definition of antbird in English:
An insectivorous, long-legged, short-tailed bird that typically has dark gray plumage in the male and brown in the female. Antbirds, found mainly in the tropical forests of South America, often feed on insects that have been disturbed by swarms of army ants.
- Family Formicariidae: several genera, in particular Myrmeciza, Cercomacra, and Drymophila
- Here we report an 8-year study of this system in a tropical passerine bird, the dusky antbird.
- Small flies laid their eggs in the bodies of the escaping insects; antbirds grabbed most of the bugs the flies didn't claim.
- Likewise, trunks for foraging woodpeckers and vegetational structures for dead-leaf foraging antbirds are found throughout the midstory, often extending into the understory and canopy.
Definition of antbird in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.