Definition of anteater in English:
A mammal that feeds on ants and termites. It has a long snout and sticky tongue.
- Most anteaters are edentates of the Central and South American family Myrmecophagidae, which includes the giant anteater and the tamanduas. The echidna, numbat, and pangolin are also known as spiny anteater, banded anteater, and scaly anteater, respectively
- In South America, anteaters evolved long sticky tongues that enable them to feed on ants and termites.
- As the name suggests, anteaters eat ants and termites in vast quantities, sometimes up to 30,000 insects in a single day.
- The prey of anteaters adheres to their long, sticky tongues.
Definition of anteater in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.