Definition of antheridium in English:
noun (plural antheridia /-THəˈridēə/)Botany
The male sex organ of algae, mosses, ferns, fungi, and other nonflowering plants.
- Since the asexual gametophyte does not form antheridia or archegonia, crosses to confirm its genotype could not be performed.
- The receptacles are reproductive branches and contain many cavities with external pores which contain antheridia and oogonia, then through meiosis, sperm and egg are produced.
- Notwithstanding their general similarity, the archegonia of mosses differ externally from antheridia in having a longer neck and longer stalk.
- Example sentences
- The oogonial initial penetrates the antheridial initial and rapidly expands to form the oogonium.
- Studies on development of antheridia and antheridial dehiscence have been conducted by Davie and Hartman.
- The latter are much more abundant in the antheridial tufts, where they have somewhat swollen heads.
Definition of antheridium in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan