- Coal of a hard variety that contains relatively pure carbon and burns with little flame and smoke. Also called hard coal.More example sentences
- Peat is an accumulation of virtually unaltered plant material, while anthracite is nearly pure carbon with little trace of the original plant material.
- Coal is usually classified into the sub-groups known as anthracite, bituminous, lignite, and peat.
- They all burn anthracite there so the sky is orange.
late 16th century (denoting a gem described by Pliny and said to resemble coals, supposedly hydrophane): from Greek anthrakitēs, from anthrax, anthrak- 'coal'.
More definitions of anthraciteDefinition of anthracite in:
- The British & World English dictionary