Definition of anthraquinone in English:
A yellow crystalline compound obtained by oxidation of anthracene. It is the basis of many natural and synthetic dyes.
- Chemical formula: C14H8O2
- The new algicide, the subject of a patent application, uses a product derivative based on the natural compound anthraquinone, found in rye grass.
- The preparation of anthraquinone used in the National Toxicology Program cancer bioassay was contaminated with the mutagen 9-nitroanthracene
- The appearance of such photochemical by-products as dianthracene and anthraquinone was monitored throughout the irradiation experiments.
Late 19th century: from anthra(cene) + quinone.
Definition of anthraquinone in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.