The attribution of human characteristics or behavior to a god, animal, or object.
- Native Americans also felt a special kinship with bears because of many shared morphological and behavioral characteristics, which lent the bears more readily to anthropomorphism than other animals.
- However, for God to address humans this way is anthropomorphism, for God accommodates human communication, and when we speak to one another this way, we do it without duplicity.
- Never mind all the infantile anthropomorphism about how animals feel that will be bleated at this week's hearings.
- Example sentences
- If I were to try and anthropomorphise it as a separate individual, then I could not class it's behaviour as wholly negative or positive.
- They tended to personalize and anthropomorphize their pets and viewed themselves as rescuers of suffering or unloved animals.
- The whole animal kingdom can be anthropomorphized, with the lion as ‘King of the beasts’, or the hive as a ‘Queen’ bee running her obedient ‘workers’.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of anthropomorphism in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.