The eating of human flesh by human beings.
- The residents of this lush, tropical paradise vehemently denied they had returned to anthropophagy, until the term was explained to them.
- To this end, the basic taxonomy of cannibalism will first be explained, along with a brief history of anthropophagy in the cultural imagination.
- This grisly practice is called anthropophagy, and it's not exactly very popular.
- Example sentences
- The giant clam is not anthropophagous, nor indeed carnivorous.
- This anthropophagous king will haunt our children's imaginations.
Mid 17th century: from Greek anthrōpophagia, from anthrōpophagos (see anthropophagus).
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of anthropophagy in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.