Definition of anticonvulsant in English:
(Chiefly of a drug) used to prevent or reduce the severity of epileptic fits or other convulsions.
- For decades children were given long term anticonvulsant drugs to prevent the recurrence of febrile seizures.
- Mega-doses of folic acid can produce convulsions, interfere with the anticonvulsant medication used by epileptics, and disrupt zinc absorption.
- The patient tolerated the procedure well and was treated postoperatively with antibiotics, steroids, and anticonvulsant medication.
nounBack to top
An anticonvulsant drug.
- The treatment drugs of choice are anticonvulsants and tricyclic antidepressants.
- Drugs such as corticosteroids, antidepressants and anticonvulsants can also help to alleviate pain.
- These drugs include corticosteroids, anticonvulsants, antidepressants, local anesthetics, and stimulants.
Definition of anticonvulsant in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.